June 7, 2008

Are Asians more kinky/dirtier?

Originally posted in my short topics blog and edited for easier read and some additional content.


I have a pretty strong opinion on this but have been reluctant to share it over my sensitivity to promote a negative (to some) stereotype and in general my common answer for almost all questions of “are they more” are almost always no they are the same just like everyone else. I decided I would take the plunge and share my opinion.

I do not believe for one second that a person with Asian genes in them makes them more prone to be kinky and specifically into dirtier (degradation/humiliation) sex. I do though think though that Asians raised in Eastern culture that are prone to be into those types of things to be probably a significant higher percentage then from other cultures. My two reasons are:

1) Eastern culture through its biggest influence in spirituality is based greatly on understanding and acceptance of reality and connections or lack of connections between things. What this might have to do with it is that I just feel that it might be easier to process our desire for it and/or not have to fight the societal preaching stigmatism of thinking we are not suppose to be into this. Specifically from my communications what often appears to be the biggest road block of if I do something degrading does that actually make me or make the other person think lesser of me.

2) I think by far though the biggest reason is it can be a tremendous outlet based on Eastern culture obsession of strict formal behaviors and obsession like dedication to being respectful of others and our appearance and actions to non family is always a reflection on our family.

Eastern respect(face) is a novel in itself to explain but for this purpose it is not only to present yourself properly in public, adhere to family principals and to strive for a level of excellence. This obviously includes do not to do anything in public that is not considered proper but also plays a large role within the family dynamic. This is especially driven home that everything you do is a reflection on your family so that only amounts to a certain pressure/stress in areas of our lives.

So for a blow of pent up stress in this area an outlet like intentionally doing humiliating or degrading things in private helps relieve the pressure for some and in my opinion why Asians probably indulge in humiliation and degradation play at a higher percentage, but certainly not all and obviously still a small minority.

To me this is not uncommon. Look at many of the Japanese game shows that you have seen in humor segments on news shows that almost all of them have to deal with public humiliation but it an acceptable setting. Look at how many normally conservative appearing women slut it up for Halloween parties or have little problem wearing revealing bikinis on a beach. Why do many act quite differently when on vacation, say Las Vegas? I think what is common to all of these things is letting out some pent up frustration of having to hide ourselves a little bit and these are all venues where they are considered acceptable behavior.

I do not think Asians have it in their genes I just think because of our culture there is more stress that can get released by humiliation and degradation play. I also believe our culture does not tie in sex with spirituality like Western culture does and in the privacy of our own homes allows the potential to accept exploring this avenue.

No comments: